I hope you enjoyed making your own vape juice using a previous article I posted in our DIY Vape Juice series published on Vaping Zone blogs. Preparing your own vape juice is as simple as ABC. However, there are certain processes that may need a lot of attention, for example: Steeping Vape Juice. That is why; I thought to write a full piece on steeping E Cig juice.
You know what? Steeping is one of those procedures that remind me of making the best of food by careful nurturing of the food ingredients, here, in this case, the E Cig juice components. It is just like sowing a seed, and nurturing and eagerly observing it for a few days just to see a beautiful sapling emerging out of the soil.
So, let’s talk about Steeping!
What is Steeping Vape Juice?
The Wikipedia says that steeping is nothing but soaking in liquid, usually water, to extract flavors. This sounds really simple. You may already have some steeping experience.
Have you ever tried keeping a piece of salted ham in water to remove additional salt? Well, that was steeping that you did. You are probably drinking a hot cup of green tea while reading this article, which again is a product of the simple steeping procedure.
The Science behind Steeping
Steeping is not just a routine procedure to be carried out without any scientific logic involved. Remember, old wine tastes better!
Scientifically speaking, steeping allows interaction between E Cig juice components with air, especially oxygen in the air that helps to enhance the flavor.
There is something called Maillard reaction that may also happen during steeping, depending upon the steeping duration. The Maillard reaction involves a chemical interaction between the amino acids and reducing sugars in the vape juice, which may result in the enhancement of the flavors.
Steeping Vape Juice – Science behind the Practice
In the past, many researchers have carried out experiments to test if steeping does change the flavor at all?
Well, I came across this beautiful set of experiments carried by Ashtray Blog.
What did they do?
- They simply sent a steeped and an unsteeped vape juice bottle to several vapers and asked them to rate the flavor and throat hit on a scale of 0-10 (10 being the highest).
- The vapers did not have a prior knowledge of which bottle is steeped and which is not. In addition, the experimenters used a single flavor throughout the experiment, making the experiment less error prone.
What did they observe?
- Steeped liquids on an average were rated 8.11 as compared to unsteeped liquids that were rated 6.33. However, the throat hit was greater with unsteeped liquids.
Vapers respond positively to steeped vape juice
- Steeping does have some effect on flavors, probably enhancing the flavor, and possibly reducing the throat hit
So, the studies show that steeping actually helps! The very next question that may come to your mind may be how to steep your DIY vape juice that you just prepared!
“Do you like it fast? Or do you like it good? I’m talking about e-juice, silly!”
– RIP Trippers (YouTuber)
Perhaps, many of you just don’t have time and patience to sit through the steeping procedure. Well, in that case, I advise you to make more amount of vape juice to start with. Keep some amount for steeping and use the other half for vaping.
There are a number of ways to steep your E-liquid. Just follow this short protocol to steep and you will find how steeping could change your DIY vape juice.
Which Vape Flavors should I Steep?
- You may already have a pre-steeped flavor with you, in which case there is no need of steeping. Generally, the premium flavors are steeped flavors. So, just check once your flavor seller for pre-steeped flavors.
- Flavors containing Nicotine change color as the steeping duration increases. So, if you are holding a brown colored bottle containing Nicotine, knowing that there are no additional flavor colors used in that particular bottle, then you can be sure that you are holding a steeped E Cig juice.
- Steeping is subject to personal taste. If you do not like the original taste of a particular flavor, go ahead and steep it; you may end up liking the steeped version of the same vape juice.
- If your E Cig juice is too strong or too sweet or tastes like a chemical, steeping is the best way. Steeping will soften the taste.
Vape juice containing Nicotine may change color as per the steeping duration
How to Steep?
This discussion brings us to the very important aspect of this article – How to steep?
Steeping Vape Juice may involve –
- Breathing Vape Juice
- Streathing Vape Juice
- Steeping Vape Juice
You could use either one of the three techniques or use all of them together.
Streathing necessarily combines steeping and breathing, hence probably could be the best steeping method.
We at Vaping Zone offer E Cig Juice bottles, PET childproof bottles, exactly the ones which you may need for successful steeping process. We have size options starting from 10 ml and 1000 ml at affordable prices.
There are numerous ways to steep – simple to complex, and even some involving use of laboratory instrument. Let’s go one by one.
- In this procedure, you place capped E Cig juice bottles in cool, dry and dark place to steep. You could use a brown container or simply your cigarette box for this.
- Steeping could be for a week or two.
- In this procedure, you open the caps of the E Cig juice bottles so that air can interact with vape juice components.
- Breathing should be for less than 12 hours, otherwise, you will start losing the E Cig juice content and Nicotine.
- Streathing is a bit complex procedure. It proceeds in four steps.
- Step one: You have to first keep your capped E-liquid bottles in warm water for 5-10 minutes.
- Step two: Then you uncap the bottles and keep them as such for at most two hours.
- Step three: You again cap them and now, try to squeeze them so that the extra air in the bottle goes off. This works best with bottles having nozzles, for instance PET bottles available at Vaping Zone.
- Step four: Repeat this procedure (Step one to three) for few times in a day.
- With streathing you can continuously monitor your vape juice. Keep a spreadsheet ready on which rate the smell of E Cig juice every time you streath.
- With this procedure, you will be able to calibrate the optimal time or streathing repetitions at which your vape juice smells and tastes the best.
Simple to Complex Steeping Methods
As I mentioned the traditional and simplest method is keeping the E Cig juice bottles in cool, dry, and dark place for a week or two. This may consume a lot of time.
So, there are ways to speed up this procedure by using some equipment such as microwave, cooker, a magnetic stirrer and even your laptop.
#01. Steeping Vape Juice – The Microwave Method
- Make sure that your vape juice bottles can withstand microwave temperature.
- Microwave E Cig juice bottles for 10 seconds on high.
- Take out bottles, uncap, and let the vape juice breathe for up to 30 minutes to two hours.
- Cap the bottles and shake rigorously.
- Repeat the procedure if necessary.
#02 Steeping Vape Juice – The Magnetic Stirrer Method
- A magnetic stirrer may expedite the steeping process many folds.
- It works just like a fast mixer, allowing air to interact with vape juice components at a higher speed than traditional breathing.
- Stir the E Cig juice for 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- Let the vape juice settle, then cap the bottles and steep using traditional steeping.
- Repeat the procedure, if necessary.
#03. Steeping Vape Juice – The Car Method
- This method works best in the summer season.
- Pack the vape juice bottles in a zip lock bag.
- Place the bag in the glove compartment of your car.
- Keep the bag at least for three days.
- Remove the bottles from the bag, uncap them and let the vape juice breath for at least two hours.
- Cap the bottles and shake rigorously.
#04. Steeping Vape Juice – The Laptop Method
- Laptops emit a lot of hot air.
- Simply keep the E Cig juice bottles at the place near your laptop’s exhaust.
- This will keep the vape juice continuously in the hot surrounding.
- Once you are done working on the laptop, probably after an hour or two, breathe the vape juice for few minutes, and then repeat the procedure.
- You could also use a hair dryer or room heater for this, instead of a laptop.
#05. Steeping Vape Juice – The Rice Method
- First, place a bowl of uncooked rice in microwave and heat for a minute.
- Now, place your E Cig juice bottle in the middle of the bowl surrounding hot rice, and keep this setup in the microwave.
- Microwave again for 30 seconds.
- Remove the bottle, open it, let the vape juice breath, cap the bottle, shake well and again repeat the procedure until you get the desired taste.
#06. Steeping Vape Juice – The Cooker/ Crock-Pot Method
- This one is a famous method among vapers.
- Use a slow cooker. Fill the cooker with water or simply use a glass bowl containing water and place it in the cooker.
- Keep E Cig juice bottles in a zip lock bag and place the bag inside the cooker or the bowl. Wait for up to 30 minutes.
- Then remove the bag, uncap the bottles, and let the E Cig juice breath for a while.
- Again cap the bottles, shake well.
- Repeat the procedure if you wish.
- It is advisable to get off as much air as you could from the zip lock before you place it in the cooker.
- Steeping Vape Juice can enhance the flavors of your DIY vape juice.
- There is a science behind steeping. Steeping basically allows components of E Cig juice to interact with air, especially oxygen, and other chemicals.
- Many vapers find that steeping actually enhances vape juice taste, hence recommend steeping highly.
- Not all flavors may need steeping. Flavors with strong, sometimes, annoying taste, after steeping taste much better.
- Steeping may involve steeping, breathing, or streathing. There are numerous ways of steeping vape juice.
- You can use household appliances such as microwave, laptop, hair dryer or laboratory instrument such as magnetic stirrer to expedite the steeping procedure.
- Steeping is easy, just needs a little bit of patience and a systematic approach.
I hope you follow the protocol mentioned here. Probably, it will be a good idea to use different methods alternatively on the same E Cig juice so as to evaluate the efficacy of the methods.
I hope you find this article, second in the series of DIY vape juice published on Vaping Zone blogs, useful. You can work out your brains and find out more and more steeping techniques. Do share those techniques with me.